NAVA Gamer's Gathering, December 29th: "The Re-Gifting Season"
NAVA = North Atlantic Videogame Aficionados. This is a FREE event bringing gamers together for competition, trading, and chatter.
Previously at NAVA...
- In our last episode, we celebrated Thanksgiving with a cornucopia of gaming favorites set up everywhere for free play. We are thankful for our attendees and customers as we enter into our FOURTEENTH year!
- The arcade game challenge was Moon Patrol. Matthew Dobles put up 53,300 points and will be added to the store's huge arcade high scoreboard.
- At 6pm we hosted a Mario Kart 64 tournament!
- Games and systems traded hands between attendees who brought their own trade boxes.
See it all in our photo gallery section at the store's website and feel free to comment!
In This Month's NAVA: As NAVA tradition dictates, and as our fore-NAVA-fathers did before us, we will have our annual gift grab! If you don’t know what a gift grab is it’s very simple: you bring a gift to the event and at 6 PM we put all the gifts together & everyone who brought one gets to pick one! So you don’t know what you’re going to get or who you’re getting it from. In the past some people have gotten such great gifts like a brand new NES Mini, a new PS Vita with multiple games, a ColecoVision signed by James “The Angry Videogame Nerd” Rolfe and lots more great stuff. We’ve ALSO had a few not-so-great gifts like a box of scratched PS2 games, a Sony alarm clock, and random used VHS tapes. SO to prevent these “not in the spirit of NAVA” gifts we’ve established some rules that have worked well since 2015:
- All gifts to be submitted for the gift exchanged will be brought to Digital Press UNWRAPPED (but carefully obscured from other NAVA members) or in a gift bag/box that can be easily opened by our inspectors. All gifts will be inspected privately by Joe and Brooke.
- If your gift passes the submission rules it will be placed into a sealed, numbered holiday gift bag, or wrapped if it doesn’t fit inside a bag. Gift bags & wrapping paper will be supplied for those who do not bring their own.
- At the time of the gift grab, your gift number will be quietly revealed to you so that you do not select your own gift.
- Please do not reveal your gift number to any other NAVA members who may know what gift you have submitted.
- Participants are allowed to submit one gift.
- If you cannot make the event but wish to participate in the gift grab you can drop off your gift to Digital Press in advance & a Digital Press staff member will pick a gift for you during the event.
- Gifts should be brand new, unopened* and related to videogames. Please be mindful of buying specific games for specific consoles as not all people own all consoles.
- Gifts should be valued at $20 or more. 'Tis the season of giving, give large if you can, NAVA is family!
Unacceptable gift examples:
- Opened, used games.
- Opened, used movies (Blu Ray, DVD, etc.).
- Non-game related merchandise (Electronics, clothing, jewelry, with no clear/direct connection to videogames).
* Exceptions to the brand new/unopened rule have been made in the past for exceptional circumstances like a complete in box NES Action Set or an autographed ColecoVision signed by James "The Angry Videogame Nerd" Rolfe. In the event that you would like to submit an opened, used item it should be something complete, in near mint condition, highly desirable, unique (autographed merchandise, one of a kind object, rare/valuable promotional item, etc). Check with a Digital Press staff member in advance to see if your "exception" fits the spirit of the event.
Arcade challenge! Time to get someone up on our brand new arcade high score board! We're populating this high score board with the area's best players' best scores on our favorite games. This month we'll play Burgertime by Data East. Be the best at this game on this one day by logging the highest score on our arcade cabinet by 9pm and win a nifty $20 gift certificate. Arcade challenge games are set to FREE PLAY all day, but please remember to let everyone get a shot. If you get the high score, move on, and no hogging the cabinet! Also if you have won last month’s arcade challenge you are not eligible to win this month’s challenge.
Remember to get your trade boxes in order so we can all buy, sell and trade together. Wear your NAVA or Digital Press t-shirt for the maximum discount on store purchases. It's NAVA time!
RSVP (optional): http://www.facebook.com/digitpress?sk=events
When: Saturday, DECEMBER 29, 3pm to midnight.
Where: Digital Press Videogames: http://tinyurl.com/7nobzcr
What happens: Gaming, trading, tournaments, big prizes! Extra game stations are set up around the store. Attendance is FREE. Half price for kids!
What can I bring?: It's nice to share. Snacks, soda and water are always appreciated. Cakes have been very popular as well.