NAVA Gamer's Gathering, December 30th: "The Re-Gifting Season"
NAVA = North Atlantic Videogame Aficionados. This is a FREE event bringing gamers together for competition, trading, and chatter.
Previously at NAVA...
- In our last episode we celebrated FOOD, days after Thanksgiving. Burgertime, Fast Food, Food Fight... a lotta food.
- There was a Cooking Mama tournament. Cristian proved to be the best chef in the house and walked away Mama Champ.
- The arcade challenge was Food Fight, where Zach put up the day's high score of 97906 and walked away with a $20 gift certificates as their prize.
- Games & systems traded hands between attendees who brought their own trade boxes.
See it all in our photo gallery section at the store's website & feel free to comment!
IMPORTANT NOTE: THE EMPLOYEE AREA AT THE BACK OF THE STORE WILL BE RESTRICTED TO EMPLOYEES ONLY. BEVERAGES AND SNACKS CAN BE BROUGHT AS USUAL AND WILL BE KEPT ON THE ISLAND COUNTERTOPS.
In This Month's NAVA: As NAVA tradition dictates, and as our fore-NAVA-fathers did before us, we will have our annual gift grab! If you don’t know what a gift grab is it’s very simple: you bring a gift to the event and at 6 PM we put all the gifts together & everyone who brought one gets to pick one! So you don’t know what you’re going to get or who you’re getting it from. In the past some people have gotten such great gifts like a Nintendo Entertainment System Action Set complete in box, a new PS Vita with multiple games, & a ColecoVision signed by James “The Angry Videogame Nerd” Rolfe. Although in the past we’ve had a few not so great gifts like a box of scratched PS2 games, a Sony alarm clock, and random used VHS tapes. SO to prevent these “not so great” gifts we’ve established some rules that have worked well since 2015:
- All gifts to be submitted for the gift exchanged will be brought to Digital Press UNWRAPPED (but carefully obscured from other NAVA members) or in a gift bag/box that can be easily opened by our inspectors. All gifts will be inspected in the basement area by Joe and Leo.
- If your gift passes the submission rules it will be placed into a sealed, numbered holiday gift bag, or wrapped if it doesn’t fit inside a bag. Gift bags & wrapping paper will be supplied for those who do not bring their own.
- At the time of the gift grab, your gift number will be quietly revealed to you so that you do not select your own gift.
- Please do not reveal your gift number to any other NAVA members who may know what gift you have submitted.
- Participants are allowed to submit one gift.
- If you cannot make the event but wish to participate in the gift grab you can drop off your gift to Digital Press in advance & a Digital Press staff member will pick a gift for you during the event.
- Gifts should be brand new, unopened and related to videogames. Please be mindful of buying specific games for specific consoles as not all people own all consoles.
- Gifts should be valued at approximately $20 or more. Tis the season of giving, give large if you can, NAVA is family!
Exceptions to the brand new/unopened rule have been made in the past for exceptional circumstances like a complete in box NES Action Set or an Autographed ColecoVision signed by James "The Angry Videogame Nerd" Rolfe. In the event that you would like to submit an opened, used item it should be something complete, in near mint condition, highly desirable, unique (autographed merchandise, one of a kind object, rare/valuable promotional item, etc). Check with a Digital Press staff member in advance to see if your "exception" fits the spirit of the event.
Unacceptable gift examples:
- Opened, used games.
- Opened, used movies (Blu Ray, DVD, etc.).
- Non-game related merchandise (Electronics, clothing, jewelry, with no clear/direct connection to videogames).
Arcade challenge! Well, the weather outside is frightful, but Taito's Alpine Ski is delightful! Be the best at the game on this one day by logging the highest score on our arcade cabinet by 9pm & win a nifty $20 gift certificate & possibly get your name added to the "House Champion" tournament plaque on the Wall of Fame just above the arcade section of the store. Arcade challenge games are set to FREE PLAY all day, but please remember to let everyone get a shot. If you get the high score, move on, & no hogging the cabinet! Also if you have won last month’s NAVA arcade challenge you are not eligible to win THIS month’s challenge.
Remember to get your trade boxes in order so we can all buy, sell and trade together. Wear your NAVA or Digital Press t-shirt for the maximum discount on store purchases. Also, bring your Nintendo 3DS to share street passes... it's NAVA time!
RSVP (optional): http://www.facebook.com/digitpress?sk=events
When: Saturday, DECEMBER 30TH, 3pm to midnight.
Where: Digital Press Videogames: http://tinyurl.com/7nobzcr
What happens: Gaming, trading, tournaments, big prizes! Extra game stations are set up around the store. Attendance is FREE. Half price for kids!
What can I bring?: It's nice to share. Snacks, soda and beer are always appreciated. Cakes have been very popular as well.